Monday, July 8, 2019

NBA: Just a business?



What is a fan of a sports team like the Brooklyn Nets? Is he or she similar to a movie or music fan? Does a fan always have to have his team win? Is there more to it than rooting for success, championship or bust? Does he or she agree with many that it's just a business like Pannara or Met Life.
I think it's a lot more than just a business and relationships form just as one does in any community. As a fan,I care about everyone on the team and want even the last player in the rotation to display the skills that got him or her to a professional team(I would mandate every player get a least one period to play). I get locked in on all the players within a given year, especially the new arrivals from the draft. I've been a Brooklyn Nets fan for the past eight years,especially the past two.
Mobility for NBA players has been a success for individual players and teams who want to be winners in the league. There is only one winner in the NBA and Toronto was the champion this year. Unfortunately,they lost their best player to free agency. My team got three free agents this year,Kevin Durant, DeAndre Jordan and Kyrie Irving. I should be happy with those moves because it is a big upgrade from last year but I'm not.
I wanted them to stay with DeAngelo Russell.(traded to the Warriors) who I have been critical of for his lack of defense and turnovers. With that said,he has improved offensively and I have seen his desire to be a productive member of the team in the areas that he needed to work on. A few other members of the team are gone who were getting old or didn't perform to their contract. I will miss them as they move on to new teams. I wanted small changes to the team I grew to respect and understand. I knew their strengths and weaknesses. Many older players couldn't be signed to new contracts because all the money went to the expensive free agents.
Winning isn't everything to me. I was a very happy fan with the season the Brooklyn Nets had last year( made the playoffs ). I just wanted to add a few pieces,good power forward and a stretch five. No great changes, everyone was important to me from that team. I like players who are humble and know their place on a team. Superstars,Irving and Durant, scare me because I want to believe in them but they seem to have bad track records, especially with the teams that pay them and the fans that invest time in their games. I hope they play hard and respect their teammates and have joy in their playing. Time will tell if Marks made the right moves.

No comments:

Post a Comment