Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Glass Is 95% Full,Maybe Not

A friend recently commented that I should see America as a glass that's 95% full and to stop dwelling on the negative 5%. I thought about it for a minute and began to realize I have reason to be negative and will always be because I'm far from satisfied with the America I have come to understand.My blog on" Income Disparity" demonstrates that our economic system isn't providing enough money for all of us.When 20%(I might be in that percent)own 85% of the assets,something tells me that we could do a lot better and that our system isn't meeting the needs of all the citizens.It's like the current educational cry, we must improve and eradicate large dropout rates.Our system needs(according to Mr.Duncan)numerous charter schools to end the decline in American education.Maybe our economy needs the same solution(blog to follow on this perspective).It is a failure when 40% of our citizens don't earn enough money to pay income taxes using our tax codes.Also,the 1% with the majority of the money, pay 40% of the taxes.Spending ratios clearly show that poorer citizens spend more of their income than the rich and help the economy grow.(unemployment benefits have the highest ratio)
Our citizens have been asking two questions of government for a long time.(1) What can the government do for me?(2) What can the government do for others? The first group want government to just do the basics and little more while the second group wants government to solve the problems of our entire nation.The first group wants to be independent of government and reduce their taxes so they can spend their income as they wish.The second group is concerned with societal issues and are willing to increase revenue to help alleviate their destruction. I'm in the second group and will always be because I have a need to see all of us prosperous and safe.I'm uncomfortable around too much wealth and feel guilty when I spend time surrounded by it. My home is where the ordinary citizen lives and I feel comfortable there.I'm interested in the life of Hispanic workers who stand on corners in Red Bank,N.J. waiting for trucks to pick them up to work in Rumson(in 2% of income level).I care about each low income,crime ridden,drug infested enclave in every major and minor city in our country.
Sunset from our deck

Everyone knows we have more than a 5% problem.13.5%,according to the current census,lives below poverty.Another 13-20% live right above it. We are talking about the citizens who don't pay income taxes and need costly assistance to survive in our society.(Medicaid,food stamps,etc.) Our capital system takes care of 60-70% of our society very well.I am thankful and part of that system but I'm not content as an American.I wish Beck/Palin talked more about helping all of America instead of trying to divide us with their insecure propaganda that labels our citizens and rewards greed.

No comments:

Post a Comment