Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Simple Twist Of Fate


    I'm between books today( New one..The Living Constitution by David Strauss) and wanted to tell you a story about what happened to me thirty-eight years ago while hitchhiking from Oakland to Los Angeles. It's not very interesting but it could have changed my life if I was open to an experience someone offered me. I lived in a large house on 47th St in Oakland when I went to California in 1972.The owner was a young man around two or three years older than me(a past roadie for the Jefferson Airplane). Around ten to fifteen men lived at the house at any given time.It had three floors and I lived in the attic. You gave the owner a few dollars to live there from time to time.People came and went as they pleased and women appeared and disappeared like the wind.One could say we were having a very good time the majority of our stay. The house was full of people from Ohio,Florida,Manhattan and the Bronx.I was a member of the Bronx contingent. Some of my friends were Viet Nam vets that returned a little unhappy about being involved in the very dangerous experience. They had "freaked" when they returned and became part of the underbelly of the counter culture movement. I say" underbelly" because a lot of vets were addicted to some form of drugs when they returned and this house provide the escape they needed on a daily basis.

I met a young lady through a friend that lived in L.A. and decided to go see her one day. Of course I had little money or transportation, so I started to hitchhike one morning.I've received numerous rides,some good and some very bad ,in my travels but one ride stands out because I was offered a job by the president of a company. I don't remember the type of company but I do recall we talked for a long time about my education,experiences and perception of our culture. I guess we debated the usual issues and tried to make our points about the war,business and general lifestyles.I knew a little about business because I had graduated from one of the better business schools in the country at the time. As I took business classes in college,the more I wanted to remove myself from that environment.I just thought it was very conforming and not very interesting.Also,I always had a poor response to authority which continues to today. I didn't think I could be competitive and take orders from someone who didn't fully respect me and see me as an equal.I was also radical when it came to one's attire. I fully believe to this day that a human should be able to wear what he/she wants at any time and in any situation.  Judgemental people, with that one issue, has always been a thorn for me.My view of this issue has lead me to accept any attire in the form of clothing or tattoos.I like to tell the story that I was the first young man to wear bell bottoms and gym attire(outside) in the Bronx.

With this stated, the man still offered me a job if I would conform a little(clean up) and join the company. He pleaded with me to give up my perception and engage the other world that was ready for my arrival.What if I took him up with that proposal?Would I be a rich man living in a fancy San Francisco co-op,donating money to Nancy Pelosi and underprivileged children in Oakland. Would those years bring passion for my work and open my world to experiences I never had?

If you've been reading this blog, you might think I am distrustful of all business activities. I am not against the capitalist system and rejoice when companies are fulfilling places to work and grow. The majority of companies are very good to their employees and help communities flourish. They contribute to the welfare of many through donations and support programs. Wealthy individuals are very generous through their foundations that meet an assortment of needs. I wish all our citizens had wonderful jobs and experiences with their employees.

I couldn't take that leap because I was truthful to myself at that time in my life. The world was upside down for those of us that needed something new. Why that happened sometimes remains a mystery to me. Only a small percentage of my peer group took the counter culture path in earnest. It was a challenge at times to turn your back on the culture you came from and go down an unlit road. Many stumbled and got caught up in the darkness of drugs and bad dreams. Each path was open at twenty-two for me. I think about the "straight"job sometimes and wonder where those steps might have led me. In the end, it really only matters if the time spent here was worthwhile. When I think in those terms,I know that I took the correct path because I've been very happy being true to the person I think I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment